- Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close-by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
- Stay at least 500 feet away from professional fireworks displays.
- Leave any area immediately where untrained amateurs are using fireworks.
The Defendant Resided in Haywood County and Targeted Victims at, or Near, Retirement Age United States Attorney Andrew Murray Western District of North Carolina Thursday,